FSA Advocacy in Action
FSA was started by a group of concerned citizens in June, 2016
- FSA advocated to exempt Social Security income from CT tax.
- A letter campaign to (all) State legislators was conducted.
- A public position statement was released to Statewide/local newspapers; testimony was given in Hartford.
- A cost/benefit analysis was presented to State Finance Committee leaders.
- OUTCOME: Subsequent Legislature action was taken to broaden the exemption.
FSA advocated to eliminate the CT estate tax; we pursued equity in taxation of other retirement income.
- FSA released a public statement and testified in Hartford.
- OUTCOME: Subsequent Legislature action was taken to (1) increase estate tax exemption to Federal level and (2) phase in exemption of pension income (subject to maximum income limits).
FSA has advocated for senior housing.
- We testified in Hartford for more “affordable” senior housing opportunities.
- We held a senior housing seminar at the Bigelow Center.
- We met with developers, architects and planners to expedite “affordable” and “attainable” housing options in Fairfield.
- We developed a senior housing/living survey.
- Our Housing Committee continually focuses on (1) improving the environment/process for senior housing and (2) improving the stock of senior-friendly units.
FSA pursued relief from the CT "8-30g" law (that allows zoning to be skirted except for only serious health and safety issues).
- We spoke at Legislative committees, lobbied legislators and coordinated a community letter writing campaign.
- With assistance from our State legislators 8-30g was modified.
FSA has worked to improve senior tax programs.
- We have studied tax relief programs in Fairfield and other towns.
- We compiled data on senior income/demographic trends for the RTM Committee on Senior/Disabled Tax Relief.
- We have made recommendations for change, including expanded eligibility for Town senior tax programs.
- We have regularly attended all meetings RTM Committee meetings.
FSA worked to protect funding of State Benefits for economically challenged seniors.
- We supported reinstatement of Medicare Savings Plan reductions.
- We opposed efforts by officials to balance budgets on the backs of needy residents.